Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Is There Anybody Out There?

Hey guys. It's me. You may remember me as the guy who used to fret over every little detail about his blog and occasionally, in between anxiety attacks, might post a music review or two. The reasons why I stopped are mainly personal, due to the direction my life was going, but I think that now, I might be ready to give the whole thing another shot.

I deleted all of the old reviews, but I have them all backed up, and I'll upload the few with which I'm still happy, eventually. As it is, I think I'm going to take this whole thing a little differently. I'm going to try not to worry about it so much, for one thing – you don't really need to know this, and unless it's relevant, I won't bring it up, but I suffer from rather severe depression and anxiety. Like, “been to a psych ward and on medication” severe. So, I have to try and not take this so seriously, or else I'll keep constantly second-guessing myself and get over-stressed for no real reason over what should just be a fun little hobby.

That's not to say that constructive criticism isn't welcome, nor is it to say that anybody who read this a couple years ago and left comments caused any mental or emotional turmoil for me. That would be ridiculous. I'm simply saying that me, personally, my levels of perfectionism mixed in with my own issues were causing me a great deal of stress when I was working on this before. So I'm gonna try to not force things so much, and I'm going to just do whatever I feel like doing, unless people reading have useful suggestions for ways to improve, which, again, are always welcome.

Now, for some basic notes on the blog itself – I'm going to use the by now infamous 15 point scale. Back in the day, when I started doing this, I declined using it because I felt it was ubiquitous and overexposed in the WRC. Now, however, hardly anybody uses it anymore, and as such, I don't feel bad doing so. A lot of people have told me that letter grades have mostly the same flexibility while being a little more intuitive, but, I dunno, maybe it's just the way my mind works, and maybe it's because I did get so used to thinking in terms of the 15 point scale, but I do find the 15 point scale makes the most sense to me.

I used to review albums in Chronological order, which is a system I still like for various reasons. That's how I have my own musical collection organized. It provides for a diverse listening experience and a diverse set of reviews for you, the reader, so we're not bogged down on just one artist for so long. Due to showing the progression of musical evolution, it's easier to show albums in context. It's not a common organizational method, so it's a bit unique. And, honestly, I just find it fun to do.

But there are some legitimate problems with it – for one thing, it will take forever to get to later bands, and also, it means that for a long time, there will be a plethora of bands which have been written about to death by the WRC. Simply occasionally covering a later band along with the chronological list wasn't particularly satisfactory to me. This is a problem I still haven't solved. On the highly unlikely chance that anybody is reading this, if you have any suggestions, by all means, let me know.

In the meantime, until I solve this conundrum, I'm going to review some artists that are less covered by the WRC. Some of my favorite artists are those that have been extensively covered by everybody ever, so that can't last forever, but for now, I think setting a foundation of somewhat more obscure bands is the best way to go. Keep in mind that, when I say “obscure”, I simply mean “less ubiquitous in reviewing circles.”

So, if you're reading this, thanks for stopping by. I'm going to give this thing an honest shot, as I did before, and we'll see what happens.

4 comments:

  1. Hi man. I'm glad to see you plan on starting things up again. If you took a look at what I've currently got going on my blog, it's basically a system of "anything goes". For the first week, I was going to go alphabetical, like George does. Then I decided all go chronological, like you do (mostly because I found some reviews that I had written a while ago on the first few albums chronologically from my top 25 artists), but I find the more I try to organize, the more I find my self frustrated with strict guidelines. So, if ever you see yourself popping in a disc (or opening up your iTunes), maybe write a review of it, just to get ideas flowing. If that's a bit too disorganized for you (and believe me, I've got my own problems with it), do the same thing, just with whatever debut albums you have floating around. Technically speaking, the reviews I have posted follow a mix of the alphabetical thing, the chronological thing and the random thing. I'm not sure if this incoherent mess of a paragraph has given you any ideas, but if seeing your first comment is encouraging, than I'm glad I can help.

    Speaking of first comments, I'm not sure what I could do to fix the little problem you're having with my site. The current URL of the blog is xmusicreviews.blogspot.ca; I don't know if blogger just gets confused by the difference between .com and .ca or not, but maybe that's it. And in case this happens again, I made a "Contact Me" widget above "Artists", "Year" and "Rating" on my site.

    So good night, and I look forward to reading your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's probably it. It doesn't seem to know what to do with the "ca" and, while I can go to your blog at .com, apparently Google can't understand the feed that way. Oh well, I'm still following.

      Delete
  2. P.S. I re-added your blog to my reading list, and it shows Mike Love's Looking Back as your second most recent review. I guess blogger don't care that you deleted them or reverted them to drafts, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jonathan!

    We recently looked at some of your album reviews and they are very well-written, your writing being of a standard we look for when selecting music bloggers to republish at Alltime Records!

    And as we've recently completed transcribing album reviews for a couple of our Reviewers, we now have two vacant slots to fill in our Transcriptions Service, and have selected your blog as a suitable candidate.

    So I hope you don't mind me dropping by to let you know about our service, and invite you to check out the Alltime Records site, it's a great way for your writing to reach a far wider audience, by providing a range of enhancements for your reviews ...

    For example, did you know that 60% of Internet traffic is now via Smartphones and Tablet PCs ...? Unfortunately, blogging platforms like Wordpress and Blogspot do not scale properly on those devices (check out your blog at the Smartphone simulator below, you'll find it doesn't display correctly!).

    Unlike blogging platforms, reviews posted at Alltime Records not only display correctly on Notebook and Desktop PCs, but on Smartphones and Tablet PCs as well. And again - unlike blogs - by not being encumbered with lots of 'widgets', advertising, Flash animations, and bulky images, the site is designed to encourage visitors to stay and browse, simply because pages load instantly onto their device.

    Smartphone demo - Alltime Records:
    http://www.isresponsive.com/?site=http://www.alltime-records.com

    Smartphone demo - your blog:
    http://www.isresponsive.com/?site=http://mode7music.blogspot.co.nz/

    Other features provided by Alltime Records include your own Home Page, and your own year-on-year album charts, plus many more as detailed at:

    http://alltime-records.com/public/menu_summary.php

    If you'd like us to include your reviews on the site, just drop a line to helpdesk at alltime-records.com. Or if you prefer, you can register an ID via the site's Home Page. We'll then start transcribing your existing reviews for you, and if you want you can then edit / tweak them, and also add new reviews as well.

    There's no strings attached, our service is offered completely free-of-charge, as we've found it's the best way for us to expand and diversify the music reviewed at Alltime Records, and ensure that posts are of good quality too.

    Thank Q!
    Simone
    Helpdesk
    www.alltime-records.com

    ReplyDelete